We can say that the strawberries and lemons are the world’s healthiest foods. Both these fruits contain low amount of sugar that is helpful, as our body needs a certain amount of sugar. A lemon contains 70% sugar and strawberry contain only 40% of sugar.
The reason that the lemon tastes sour even having more sugar than the strawberry is that the lemon contains a high amount of citric acid, usually 3% to 6%, that dominated the sweet taste of the lemon and results in the sour taste. The strawberry has less sugar than lemon but there is no acid content present in the strawberry, and therefore it tastes sweet.
People may think that high amount of sugar in a lemon may cause obesity, but a lemon has many medicinal properties. Also, strawberries contain a high amount of carbohydrates in the form of starch, but it also has many health benefits.
If we keep aside low amount of sugar that is present in both the fruits and just evaluate their nutritive values, we will find that the health benefits that they provide are much more than the amount of sugar present in them.
Health Benefits of Lemon:
- Lemons contains a lot of minerals like potassium, iron, sodium and calcium and vitamins like vitamin C, E, K, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B9.
- Lemon has an alkalizing effect on the body, that is they balance the pH level of the body and are perfect for consuming when you are suffering from acidity and heartburn.
- They help in treating throat infections, as they contain vitamin C that acts against infections.
- Drinking Luke warm water in the morning with lemon cures obesity and improves indigestion.
- Potassium, present in lemon, is important as it helps in controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
- Lemon contains anti-cancerous compounds like flavonol glycosides that stop the growth of cancerous cells.
- Lemons have antibacterial and antiseptic properties.
- Lemon helps to cure the fever by increasing perspiration.
- The citric acid present in lemon helps in preventing kidney stones.
- Other benefits include dental care, skin care, and hair care.
Health Benefits of Strawberries:
- Strawberries are packed with antioxidants and are an excellent source of vitamin C. Also; strawberries contain minerals like potassium, manganese, dietary fiber and folate.
- Strawberries contain antioxidants like flavonoids that can prevent damage to our eyes like preventing dry eyes and infections.
- Strawberries act as an immune booster. Eating strawberries daily can supplement the need of vitamin C.
- Strawberries help in fighting cancerous cells. Ellagic acid found in strawberries along with antioxidants like lutein possess anti-carcinogenic properties.
- Strawberries are rich in potassium that improves the cognitive function of the brain by increasing the blood flow. Also, strawberries contain iodine that helps in proper functioning of the nervous system.
- The minerals, potassium, and magnesium found in strawberries help in lowering the blood pressure. Potassium also helps in the process of vasodilation that is widening of blood vessels, that releases hypertension.
- Other benefits of strawberries include skin rejuvenation of skin and keeping the heart healthy.