.:: COMPOSITION ::.
» Glycerin IP 15% w/v
» Sodium Chloride IP 15% w/v
In an aqueous base.
A safe and reliable enema.
Sodium Chloride 15%w/w
Sulabh enema helps in rectal evacuation prior to surgery in a hospital setting. It is also designed to be used at home for cardiovascular patients and patients with hernia to avoid excessive straining during defecation. Sulabh enema is a composition of glycerine and sodium chloride that aids not only in easy defecation but also forms protective film and moisturizes the dry area.
Sodium chloride when instilled into rectum it exerts hyperosmotic effect thereby drawing water into the colon that softens the stool and promotes evacuation. Even glycerine present in Sulabh enema due to its moisture absorbing properties draws in water to soften the stool.
Sulabh enema is indicated to relieve the patient from constipation in:
• Bedridden patients
• In habitual and drug-induced constipation
It is also indicated for emptying of bowel prior to:
• Surgery and postoperative care
• Per rectum and colonoscopy examination
• Radiological examination
Dosage and Administration:
• Only 1 enema has to be used for a period of 24hrs.
• Do not use consecutively for 3 days without consulting a doctor
Directions of Use:
In order for the solution to reach the colon properly, ask the patient to position in such a way hugging their knees to their chest while lying on their stomach or on their side.
1. Make sure the clamp of enema bag is shut. Hold the bag with the hose end down and open the clamp for a moment or so to get rid of any air bubbles that may enter colon while administrating the enema
2. Lubricate the end of the tube to make insertion more comfortable. Insert no more than 4 inches into the rectum. Ask the patient to push the anus out as you insert the tube to make it more comfortable.
3. Wait for the fluid to enter the rectum.
4. Remove the nozzle from the rectum slowly.
5. Do not force the enema tip into the rectum as this can cause injury.
Sulabh enema is contraindicated in the following conditions:
• If high amounts of sodium are detected in the blood
• High blood pressure
• Extreme Loss of Body Water
• Patients with serious symptoms of heart failure
• Inflammation of the Large Intestine
• Stomach or Intestine Blockage
• Patients with inherited Disorder of Intestines – Hirschsprung’s Disease
• Patients with a Rupture in the Wall of the Stomach or Intestine
• Moderate to Severe Kidney Impairment
• Problematic Anal Opening since birth
Stop use and immediately consult a doctor if any of these adverse effects are seen:
• Upset stomach.
• Stomach cramps.
• Rectal irritation.
• No bowel movement after use
• Dizziness, vomiting, little or no urination
Warnings and Precautions:
¬ The administration of enemas should be avoided in patients following colonic surgery or patients with injury or obstruction, as it increases the risk of perforation. This risk may also be raised in patients who have undergone gynaecological surgery or radiotherapy.
¬ Inform your doctor
• If you have any allergy to glycerine.
• If you have any of these health problems: Bowel block, belly pain, upset stomach, rectal bleeding, throwing up, or change in bowel habits lasting less than 2 weeks.
Pregnancy and Lactation:
To be used only when prescribed by the Physician
- Information provided above is for reference purpose only and has been compiled for use by healthcare practitioners. Please consult your physician to understand how the product affects you, its dosages, side-effects and further information.
- Remember, keep this and all other medicines out of the reach of children, never share your medicines with others, and use this medication only for the indications prescribed by your physician.
- Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Pharma Synth Formulations Ltd. (‘PSFL’) is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. PSFL does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients or recommend therapy and is an informational resource designed to assist licensed healthcare practitioners in caring for their patients and/or to serve consumers viewing this service as a supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgment of healthcare practitioners. PSFL does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacist.